If you have a bunch of items acquired over the years and are clearly running out of room in your home, a self-containing storage unit is might be the answer for you. These self storage units are perhaps one of the greatest things that were ever created. You can rent space at one of the self-storing warehouses very cheap. Most storage units will come in multiple size options as well.
What Exactly Is a Self-Storage Unit?
Self storage is now a big industry in the U.S. Self storage refers to a storage space often rented out for a short period, typically on a month to month basis.
Self storage warehouses include outdoor space, containers, lockers, and rooms. These units can come in handy for transitional stages of life such as moving to a smaller place, marriage, relocation, storage of winter items, etc.
When you choose to rent a storage unit for your transitional moments in life, there are a few things you will want to consider.
Things to Consider Before Renting a Storage Unit
- What are the valuables you want to store away?
- Which storage unit size do you actually require? – By deciding what to store you will be able to determine the size of storage. Self storage ranges from small storage lockers to , containers, storage yards and rooms.
- What amenities do you require? Do you wish to preserve your valuable books. You need climate controlled storage then for books or special items that deteriorate easily.
- Do you need a security camera?
- Decide how long you plan to rent the storage. Storage spaces are often rented out month by month.
- Check storage prices online and check for availability.
- Compare storage space prices and ask for discounts.
- Communication and sign a short or long term agreement.
- Check the unit out every now and again.
What to Do After Getting a Unit:
After you purchase or rent a storing container, you’ll want to look into preservatives such as moth balls and covers for any furniture. The last thing you want is to check on your storage and find that mice have ruined any of your expensive items.
Remember to always ask the staff at the place you decide to store if they have any vermin issues. Reputable businesses will be forthcoming with this information. After all, they want to have you as a returning tenant after your term or rental lease is up.
Once you start moving into the unit, make sure you have a plan for properly storing all items. You don’t want to move into too small of a unit and have to ‘Tetris’ your items into it. If your space is too small, talk to your storage rental consultant to see if you can upgrade.
Wrapping It Up:
Now that you know what a storage unit is and how it can help you, you’ll be able to find the best unit in your area. Make sure you start your search online and ask family and friends for referrals. Family and friends can be very useful in finding a quality space to store your precious valuables.